23 Jun 96 BRITON CHARGED WITH HACKING INTO PENTAGON DATA: REUTER NEWS

LONDON

British police said on Sunday they had charged a second man with hacking into US military computers months after the arrest of a teenage whizzkid accused of gaining access to messages from US agents in North Korea. MATHEW BEVAN, a 21-year-old information technology technician, has been charged with conspiracy to gain unauthorised access to computers and conspiracy to cause unauthorised modification to computers.

A spokeswoman for Scotland Yard said both charges related to computer systems operated by the US military and the Lockheed missile and space company.
Bevan’s co-defendant, RICHARD PRYCE, was charged last year with using a computer in his bedroom in north London to tap into several US Defence Department systems over a period of seven months.

PRYCE, who was just 16 at the time, got access to files on ballistic weapons research and messages from US agents in North Korea during a crisis over nuclear inspection in 1994, according to reports last year in The Independent newspaper.

Police sources said the two were arrested after a long search instigated by the US Air Force’s Office of Special Investigations based in Washington. BEVAN, from Cardiff in Wales, is to appear before magistrates in central London on July 11.
A recent study by the General Accounting Office of Congress said attempts to hack into Pentagon computers were running at a rate of 250,000 a year.
The GAO said the attacks were, at least, a multi-million dollar nuisance and, at worst, could pose a serious threat to national security.

(c) Reuters Limited 1996
Reuter News Service – United Kingdom. Reuter Economic News.
Companies: LCKHED LOCKHEED MARTIN CORPORATION HLDG (USA)
Reuter Textline
Copyright (C) Reuters Limited 1980-1997